Baby Alphabet Quilt

    

I like this pattern and it uses up some of those small pieces.  Choosing and cutting the small pieces (base is a 2” square) takes some time.

This is the second I have made, and is for a friend.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Quilting Circles

I am practising with one of the shapes (circle) in my ‘Westalee” Template Sampler Set – the second of my 3 expensive purchases at the 2018 Quilt Show.  As usual using this at home is much harder than the demonstration sample I tried at the show!.  I have had to move away from using my Bernina BSR foot for free motion quilting; very surprisingly some of the results are acceptable.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Silk Coverlet Phase 1

I was given some wonderful pure silk material in jade green and gold; about 5 meters of green and 3 meters of gold.  I don’t wear silk clothes so had the idea to turn them into a bed coverlet.  The basic pattern came from my sewing group tutor, and I adjusted it – adding the vertical piece in the middle and corner squares of gold (not in the photo).   The approximate size is 88” X 88”

I have struggled with this for the last couple of weeks – ripping the pieces meant they frayed at a touch, there wasn’t a straight line to be had, the silk pins kept falling out and as it grew I had to lay it on the floor and crawl around measuring and pinning!.

Having got this far, thanks be to my newly acquired overlocker, it is going away for a rest.  The intention is to back it in soft calico and quilt with no wadding.  Eventually or maybe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Triangular Challenge

For some reason this year I wanted more of a challenge in quilt blocks (which I may well regret), and feeling the chilly weather I remembered some brushed cotton material in my stash marked out for a quilt for me.  I looked through all my quilt magazines and books for inspiration and the only one I felt fitted the muted colours of the material was a pattern made up of only triangles!  So challenge 1 – make an accurate template, challenge 2 to cut lots of accurate triangle pieces (not having a die cutter).  I sewed a few together to test my cutting accuracy and decided that was sufficient (not perfect!).  I now have over a hundred triangles cut out and more to go

‘Handbag’ pattern Quilts

    

‘Handbag’ pattern Quilts

Yes I know the blocks don’t look like handbags, but I stole the idea from one where the bag handles were appliqued on to the top or narrow end of the ‘bag’.  As I was intending these for Project Linus for boys (most quilts are rather girly in colours and material) I left the handles off.

While simple in idea my brain did not cope well with sewing the slanting sides together.  First I sewed a straight side to a slant – the result was Not a rectangle.  Reverse all that and try again:  I sewed slant to slant but still Not a rectangle.  The idea is to sew the fat end to the thin end not fat to fat!.  Second go and reversing, and finally correctly shaped rectangles.

Originally I had planned only one but I had so much material there became two with still some left over.

All the fabric is brushed cotton. The paisley fabric on cream was given to me – about 7 yards worth, so it got used as backing for both quilts as well as the binding and some blocks.  The dark blue was left over from many years ago when I made myself a pair of pyjamas.  Apart from the red check, I didn’t buy any fabric.

Sampler Quilt – My First Quilt

I have just needed to repair one of the corner appliqued hearts on this quilt and realised I never shared it.

I am proud of this quilt – back in 2010 it was the first quilt I sewed on my own, without constant advice and instruction.  The pattern was a ‘block a month’ from Threads and Patches with a choice of colourways, so the elapsed time to make it was over a year.  Following some of block instructions was challenging and I called upon my sewing guru for assistance several times.  The layout was pre-set; if I made this again I would put the blocks together differently.  The binding and backing fabric was my choice.

Strangely not long after my friend had received it (a year after I said I would make her a quilt of course!), one of the American tv programmes showed a scene with a similar quilt!.

 

Appliqued Paper Pieced Hexagon quilt

This project was another ‘memory quilt’ for a friend, whose mother had already made a number of paper pieced hexagon flowers.  She had clearly planned to make more as there were more hexagons already cut out.  I thought it a shame if this didn’t get completed, but after discussion with a sewing friend we thought it would be best finished in a different way.  No least because to make a whole quilt out of just hexagon would take me a LONG time!.   The plan was for

  • a square quilt – approximate end size 44” X 44”
  • The four already constructed ‘flowers’ in a square separated by cream backing (see below) .  These each have 7 rosettes each
  • The additional rosettes made from the loose hexagons around the outside of the central ‘flowers’ separated by cream
  • The ‘flowers’ and rosettes will be appliqued onto cream calico. as white proved to be too stark against the bright colours.
  • Backing – the same cream calico.
  • After arranging the flowers and rosettes, there was one hexagon over which was added to the label.

Quilted in cream thread, around each hexagon with some additional hexagon outlines in-between some. The centre hexagon of most rosettes was quilted inside in the same thread colour as the hexagon.

I used self binding, and had to look up how to do the mitred corners. Machine stitched down in cream thread.

Time taken: 65 hours

Elapsed time was 6 months from April to August.

Making up the additional rosettes took me 25 and a half hours.

Layout:  1 hour 30 minutes

Applique:  12 hours 50 minutes

Quilting:  18 hours 15 minutes

Binding: 2 hours 50 minutes

Label: 4 hours

Previous Older Entries