3 Robins ready to fly

More knitted birdies from Sue Stratford https://www.suestratford.co.uk/ . A friend asked for one but I didn’t have any brown wool.  A sewing friend passed on hers which were in different weights – hence the different sizes!.  I am trying to use up not buy more!. I ran out of the safety eyes so baby has just french knots. One robin has flown.

Glass terrarium lid

    

This was presented to me in a sad state – with several of the green fringe pieces broken and the solder was coming away.  Over 2 project days at Vitreus Art, I removed the fringe, cut new green pieces, copper foiled them then soldered them back on.  I’ve started to quite enjoy soldering!!  The angle was tricky and I needed the expert assistance to attach the pieces – in some case 2 pairs of hands were needed.

Chinese Dragon Tapestry

Most definitely a long term project! – this was the last piece bought for me by my late mother in approximately 1986.  I have just unexpectedly found the original label so I know it came from The Tapestry Studio of Bath in Broad Street (I think it is no longer there) and is an original hand painted design from them, design no 119a and cost £27.00 including all the Appleton’s wool.  I remember going to the shop and falling for the design, and starting to stitch it.

My mother died in 1987 and it was consigned to the UFO (Unfinished Object) pile until approximately 2007.  Having been made redundant from my job, I eventually joined a sewing group and finished this tapestry.  Not knowing what to do with it, back it went into the UFO container until this year, 2017.  One of my friends who is very partial to Chinese embroidery pictures, was having extensive extension to her house.  My bright idea was if she liked it, to have it made into a picture for her ‘new’ home.  Fortunately she liked it and thus it is finally Finished!.  Expertly framed by http://www.creative-framing-services.co.uk/

Summer Linus Scrap Quilt

I’m calling this quilt ‘summer’ not just because it was made this summer but a couple of my friends at the Linus sewing day said “Strawberry and Raspberry colours”.  Unlike most quilts this one started with the backing – a piece of embroidered material presented to me at a previous Linus sewing day with the request to “make a front for this”.  I delved into my ‘stash’ and found a collection of similarly coloured squares and the plain material, all passed on from a friend.  I had only to add one square from my material to make enough for the front; it’s quite small 26” by 34”.  I planned and cut the squares at home and sewed and quilted it at the last Linus sewing day.  The quilting (free motion ‘scribble’) was done from the back to avoid sewing over the embroidered flowers. The binding was found in the Linus pile and today I attached the binding, so it’s all ready for the next sewing day.

Funky Stained Glass Strawberry and Stars

Having finished the Bird of Paradise hanging, I had a day a half left of the five day workshop which gave me time to create a few small items.  I had been saving a tear drop shaped piece of red glass for ages (because I liked the shape), and whilst cutting the bird pieces another shaped offcut in green emerged.  I don’t like wasting materials and with the tale of a friend’s losing battle with slugs vs strawberries in mind the shape of Funky Strawberry came to me.  This piece is now hanging up away from the slugs.

With more time to spare I wanted to make some stars – just because I like them; after all stars are not just for Christmas.  What really makes their effect is the lovely glass.

Stained Glass Bird of Paradise Hanging

Since I made my Bird of Paradise material hanging I’ve wanted to do a version in stained glass.  A friend of mine was interested in having one so the project got going.  The design is inspired by and adapted from a Gail Lowther pattern (http://www.gaillawther.co.uk/v3/).   After the last 2 projects which were Large Window / Porch pieces it’s more relaxing to work on a smaller scale, although small doesn’t mean easy!. Because it was going to be hung on a wall I thought having it mounted on a board would reflect more of the glass colours, and this has turned out well.  As usual many thanks to Jenny and Mike at Vitreus Art for their assistance, encouragement and making the mounting board and mounting the piece.  This has been delivered to it’s new owner and will soon be hanging in their conservatory.

Day 1:  All the pieces were cut – not accurately as it seems I don’t have the fine motor control for freehand cutting.  Some have been ground to fit the pattern.

Day 2:  All pieces were ground to fit the pattern, some took a while to get them to the correct shape after the inaccurate cutting.  The orange and blue/green colour glass is textured and is more challenging to cut.  A few pieces were-cut: one because it was just the wrong shape, and 2 because the purple colour turned out to be more blue. In the remaining time I started on applying the copper foil on the edges; this is quite a precise and fiddly task and naturally I needed to redo some sections.

Day 3:  All pieces were foiled and one side was soldered.  That is definitely a skill that takes time to acquire.  Some of my solder lines aren’t bad, but some needed some smoothing out.

Knitted Blue Tit Bird

     

I was fortunate to attend a workshop of Sue Stratford where we learned tips for knitting her wonderful knitted birds from ‘A Bird in the Hand’ (and drank coffee and ate cake of course).  I selected a Blue Tit because my neighbour and I have them in our gardens and this year they have been flying in and out of my nesting box.  I haven’t seen any babies yet but maybe..

I finished him yesterday and I’m reasonably pleased with the result – always ‘could do better’!  He is small – approximately 9 cm tall.

Check out her website https://www.suestratford.co.uk/  for details of all her other wonderful patterns and kits.

Previous Older Entries