Peacock Feathers Fused Glass

I am pleased with how my first fused glass creation turned out – thanks to Vitreus Art of course.  I wasn’t motivated to try fusing until I saw a painting in Vitreus Art of a peacock, and ‘bing’ there was my inspiration – peacock feathers.  Not being a natural artist regarding drawing I was unsure how I would be able to replicate my pencil designs (with a lot of rubbing out!) into the fusing techniques.  The day was really relaxing and fortunately my hands didn’t shake too much whist drawing the lines.

Advertisements

Sampler Quilt – My First Quilt

I have just needed to repair one of the corner appliqued hearts on this quilt and realised I never shared it.

I am proud of this quilt – back in 2010 it was the first quilt I sewed on my own, without constant advice and instruction.  The pattern was a ‘block a month’ from Threads and Patches with a choice of colourways, so the elapsed time to make it was over a year.  Following some of block instructions was challenging and I called upon my sewing guru for assistance several times.  The layout was pre-set; if I made this again I would put the blocks together differently.  The binding and backing fabric was my choice.

Strangely not long after my friend had received it (a year after I said I would make her a quilt of course!), one of the American tv programmes showed a scene with a similar quilt!.

 

Appliqued Paper Pieced Hexagon quilt

This project was another ‘memory quilt’ for a friend, whose mother had already made a number of paper pieced hexagon flowers.  She had clearly planned to make more as there were more hexagons already cut out.  I thought it a shame if this didn’t get completed, but after discussion with a sewing friend we thought it would be best finished in a different way.  No least because to make a whole quilt out of just hexagon would take me a LONG time!.   The plan was for

  • a square quilt – approximate end size 44” X 44”
  • The four already constructed ‘flowers’ in a square separated by cream backing (see below) .  These each have 7 rosettes each
  • The additional rosettes made from the loose hexagons around the outside of the central ‘flowers’ separated by cream
  • The ‘flowers’ and rosettes will be appliqued onto cream calico. as white proved to be too stark against the bright colours.
  • Backing – the same cream calico.
  • After arranging the flowers and rosettes, there was one hexagon over which was added to the label.

Quilted in cream thread, around each hexagon with some additional hexagon outlines in-between some. The centre hexagon of most rosettes was quilted inside in the same thread colour as the hexagon.

I used self binding, and had to look up how to do the mitred corners. Machine stitched down in cream thread.

Time taken: 65 hours

Elapsed time was 6 months from April to August.

Making up the additional rosettes took me 25 and a half hours.

Layout:  1 hour 30 minutes

Applique:  12 hours 50 minutes

Quilting:  18 hours 15 minutes

Binding: 2 hours 50 minutes

Label: 4 hours

3 Robins ready to fly

More knitted birdies from Sue Stratford https://www.suestratford.co.uk/ . A friend asked for one but I didn’t have any brown wool.  A sewing friend passed on hers which were in different weights – hence the different sizes!.  I am trying to use up not buy more!. I ran out of the safety eyes so baby has just french knots. One robin has flown.

Glass terrarium lid

    

This was presented to me in a sad state – with several of the green fringe pieces broken and the solder was coming away.  Over 2 project days at Vitreus Art, I removed the fringe, cut new green pieces, copper foiled them then soldered them back on.  I’ve started to quite enjoy soldering!!  The angle was tricky and I needed the expert assistance to attach the pieces – in some case 2 pairs of hands were needed.

Chinese Dragon Tapestry

Most definitely a long term project! – this was the last piece bought for me by my late mother in approximately 1986.  I have just unexpectedly found the original label so I know it came from The Tapestry Studio of Bath in Broad Street (I think it is no longer there) and is an original hand painted design from them, design no 119a and cost £27.00 including all the Appleton’s wool.  I remember going to the shop and falling for the design, and starting to stitch it.

My mother died in 1987 and it was consigned to the UFO (Unfinished Object) pile until approximately 2007.  Having been made redundant from my job, I eventually joined a sewing group and finished this tapestry.  Not knowing what to do with it, back it went into the UFO container until this year, 2017.  One of my friends who is very partial to Chinese embroidery pictures, was having extensive extension to her house.  My bright idea was if she liked it, to have it made into a picture for her ‘new’ home.  Fortunately she liked it and thus it is finally Finished!.  Expertly framed by http://www.creative-framing-services.co.uk/

Summer Linus Scrap Quilt

I’m calling this quilt ‘summer’ not just because it was made this summer but a couple of my friends at the Linus sewing day said “Strawberry and Raspberry colours”.  Unlike most quilts this one started with the backing – a piece of embroidered material presented to me at a previous Linus sewing day with the request to “make a front for this”.  I delved into my ‘stash’ and found a collection of similarly coloured squares and the plain material, all passed on from a friend.  I had only to add one square from my material to make enough for the front; it’s quite small 26” by 34”.  I planned and cut the squares at home and sewed and quilted it at the last Linus sewing day.  The quilting (free motion ‘scribble’) was done from the back to avoid sewing over the embroidered flowers. The binding was found in the Linus pile and today I attached the binding, so it’s all ready for the next sewing day.

Previous Older Entries